Friday, November 6, 2009

Yes, Again...yet again..

i have decided to start writing again...

maybe someday i will write a book,
maybe not
but atleast my grandkids will have something to read about
and feel embarrassed...

Guess a few thanks are due for this resurrection..

Thanks,
to Andy.
for his mindless courage.
Courage is anyways, by definition, mindlesness.
Courage is the inability to see the most obvious and logical outcome of one's decisions, and hence the possibility of creating some shockingly wonderful alternative realities.

to Fart, Vishy and Varath.
for their honest, comforting, cynical brand of curd-rice encouragement.
In Fart's case, make it curd rice laced with vodka.

Whenever I have fallen into the ice cold pool of dark, depressive thoughts these guys have grabbed me by my hair...and pushed me a little deeper into it.
So that I clearly felt and saw what I was comfortbaly sinking into... then they let me free, and I rush up gasping.

to Pondy.
for showing how stupidly one can fall in sensual love with nothing but ideas.
even if they are not one's own original ideas.

to Adak.
for alternately giving advice and laughing as if on dope....laughing, as if that's the only way he knows to breathe

to Narayan.
for long my better half.
a better half i long for even now.
(well....if that scares the girls away from me....sweethearts, u havent exactly been falling all over me either)

to Shantanu.
The jagat-uncle.
who has been trying to make me grow up as hard as he has been trying to grow himself down

to Ali
who keeps dumping horribly written books by grammar/decency/sex-starved fresh engineering grads on my desk with a "if-they-can-so-can-you" shout hurled down his pointing index finger right into my face.

to Hima.
the critic-who-is-dangerous-when-drunk.

to Pappa.
for just being such a pleasant sight to the eyes.
I remember the mornings you would bounce in like a hot-air balloon into my hostel room...and i would wonder in my half-sleep whether it was again one of those complete solar eclipse days....such round darkness...

to Zahra
well....i finally met her ;)
and she is every bit a hot tumbler of strong filter kaapi....

and to someone who makes me half-scared-half-hopeful...

There....I am done with the "Thanks" page of my book, if ever there would be one.
I just re-read it and it surprisingly reads like a farewell note.....

So, dear Grandkids....
if you are ever embarassed of your grandpa...you know exactly which of his friends to avoid...

2 comments:

Indian Madder said...

Finally...the pigeon steps out of the hole!! :)

Am presuming the comment on yours truly was a compliment..no, don't bother to correct me ;-P.... muchas gracias senor. Just hope you keep writing this time round!!

Cheers!:)

Shastry said...

:)
Dear zahra,

that was in absolut appreciation...being a south indian myself i hold filter coffee in the highest of regards and would never refer to it in anything but an admiring tone